SOUTH BEND, Ind. -- Cameron Rankin set a personal record today to lead the Sabercats to their second-best time as a group this season at the Bethel Invitational. Rankin's 8K measure of 28:29.4 was good enough for the fourth-fastest time in Maranatha Men's Cross Country history, as he edged his three-year teammate, Josh Kruit, by two-tenths of a second in the all-time charts.
Behind the Indiana native came Jefferson Rupert, who PR'd with a 30:49 time, and Robert Kile finished in 31 minutes flat to round off Maranatha's top three runners. David Williams also hit a low mark for the season, as he clocked in at 31:48.
Rankin spearheaded a 13th-place showing for Maranatha at a rigorously competitive event. Indiana Wesleyan (Marion, Ind.) finished in first as a team with 36 points and three of the top five runners. Cornerstone University's Colin de Young cut the tape with an 8K of 25:18 to win the race for the men.
- Event: Bethel Invitational
- Men's Finish: 13th of 14 / 396 pts
- First Runner: Cameron Rankin - 54th - 28:29 (8K)
- Location: South Bend, Ind. / St. Patrick's County Park
- Next: Saturday, October 13 at Wisconsin Private College Championships
- 54th - Cameron Rankin (28:29)*
- 81st - Jefferson Rupert (30:49)*
- 82nd - Robert Kile (31:00)
- 86th - David Williams (31:48)*
- 93rd - James Rossiter (35:38)
- (95th) - Drew Smith (36:11)
- (96th) - TJ Lacock (36:59)
The Sabercats will travel north to compete in the Wisconsin Private College Championships next weekend. The Men's 8K is scheduled to start at 10:30 a.m. in Green Lake, Wisconsin.