WATERTOWN, Wis. -- After suffering a hard defeat to Concordia Chicago, the Sabercats responded in the best way possible.
The Sabercats posted a sweep of North Park to finish Parents' Day in style, posting a team-best 46 kills in any three-set match this season.
- Maranatha 0-3 Concordia Chicago (23-25, 9-25, 10-25)
- Maranatha 3-0 North Park (25-18, 25-20, 25-22)
- Venue: Maranatha Baptist University
- Location: Watertown, Wis.
- Attendance: 123, 187
- Records: MBU (4-10), CUC (6-2), NPU (2-7)
Concordia Chicago: The Cougars were tough. Coming into the match, CUC was riding the momentum of three consecutive sweeps, and they left Watertown with two more for good measure. Maranatha stayed right with the NACC powerhouse with a narrow 23-25 loss in the opening set, but from that point on, it was all about the Cougars, who captured the final two sets while limited the Sabercats to just 19 points.
MBU struggled offensively in the final two frames especially, as CUC's stifling defense forced 16 errors out of the MBU hitters. The Sabercats just couldn't find a rhythm.
North Park: But as they have done so many times this season, the Sabercats rebounded after disappointment. Just a couple of hours after getting swept away, the Sabercats responded with a sweep of their own to spark fresh life into the Parents' Day celebrations. Phillip Holbrook led the charge from the front with 15 kills while Isaac McKee posted a career-best 10 kills, and Taylor Dafoe made it an easy afternoon for his hitters, as the senior setter posted a solid 38 assists in the straight-set sweep. The offense combined for 46 kills in the match, which was by far the Sabercats' highest mark this season in a three-set match.
Behind the ticket-sellers was the match-winning defensive work of Joel Depue and Steven Wagner, who logged 13 and 17 digs, respectively, to ensure the hard-earned win and positive ending to the first home triangular of the season.
North Park made it difficult by putting up 20 points minimum in each of the final two sets, but the Sabercats' determination won out, and they had a straight-set win to show for it at the end of the day.
MBU Starters: 3- Massey, 4- McKee, 5- Dafoe, 6- Rossiter, 8- Depue, 13- Wagner (L), 15- Smith
STATS (two-match totals)
- Holbrook: 22 K, 3 D
- McKee: 14 K, 4 B
- James Rossiter: 7 K, 4 B in the North Park match
- Depue: 11 K, 23 D
- Dafoe: 53 A
- Wagner: 27 D
- MBU: 46 K against NPU - the best total in a three-set match this season
- Series: Maranatha leads the North Park series 2-1
- Series: Concordia Chicago leads the MBU-CUC series 0-1
- Concordia Chicago competes in the Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference (NCAA DIII)
- North Park competes in the Collegiate Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin (NCAA DIII)
The Sabercats will stay at home for another triangular on Friday against Marian and Greenville. Find details at mbusabercats.com/schedule.