LA CROSSE, Wis. -- The Sabercats were missing a couple of key players tonight, as they fell in straight sets at Viterbo University.
- Result: Maranatha 0-3 IIT (16-25, 20-25, 20-25)
- Venue: R.W. Beggs Sr. Gymnasium, Viterbo University
- Location: La Crosse, Wis.
- Attendance: 69
- Records: MBU (3-9), VU (6-6)
The Sabercats couldn't get much going in the first set, as they were limited to just five kills and 16 points as the V-Hawks stormed out to the 1-0 lead.
After that slow start in the first set, the Sabercats turned things around offensively in the second. A balanced attack featuring James Rossiter and Joel Depue put up a combined 12 kills, but the V-Hawks persisted, putting up 14 kills of their own in a 25-20 win.
Without Steve Wagner and Joel Smith, the Sabercats had to work overtime offensively and defensively, and it began to show as the match wore on. Viterbo ended the match in the next set, matching the scoreline of 25-20 from the previous frame to take home the straight-set win.
MBU Starters: 3- Massey, 4- McKee, 5- Dafoe, 6- Rossiter, 8- Depue, 12-Holbrook
- Holbrook: 7 K, 6 D
- Depue: 5 K, 7 D
- McKee: 5 K, 2 B
- Dafoe: 20 A
- Chris Kahler: 11 K for Viterbo
- Andrew Lepage: 34 A for Viterbo
- Series: VU now leads the series 3-0
- VU competes in the NAIA
- VU competes in the Chicagoland Collegiate Athletic Conference
The Sabercats will have their first home matches of the season on Saturday at 12:00 p.m. and 4:00 p.m. against Concordia Chicago and North Park. Stay updated at mbusabercats.com/schedule.