LA CROSSE, Wis. -- They had the first, the second, and now Viterbo has had the last laugh in the Maranatha-Viterbo matchup for the 2020 season, winning 3-0 over the Sabercats at the Viterbo Outdoor Athletic Complex.
The loss concludes the regular season for the Sabercats, who will look forward to next weekend and the NCCAA North Region Tournament.
- Result: Maranatha 0-3 Viterbo
- Venue: Viterbo Outdoor Athletic Complex
- Location: La Crosse, Wis.
- Attendance: 75
- Record: MBU (3-7-2), VU (9-1-0)
The Sabercats battled this one out from start to finish, as it was just a 1-0 game for the opening hour. That's only semi-noteworthy, but when you factor in the reality of the Sabercats' 11-man traveling roster for today's game, it becomes impressive against a 9-1 team like Viterbo. Benian Yao opened the scoring for Viterbo in the 15th minute, but two goals in an 11-minute span around the hour mark sealed the deal for the V-Hawks.
Tim Kinzler had a busy day, making 13 saves in the MBU goal, but the red-hot hosts peppered the Sabercats throughout the 90 minutes, registering 35 shots when it was all said and done.
Still, the Sabercats limited the hosts to only three connections, rendering many of the Viterbo attempts harmless. Overall, it ended being a defensive tune-up for the oncoming NCCAA North Region Tournament.
MBU Starters: 1- Kinzler (C), 2- T. Holloway, 3- K. Elms, 4- Roer (C), 5- J. Elms, 7- Karnes, 9- Wright, 12- Steuerwald (C), 21- Hansel, 22- Hugg, 23- Perkins
- Shot count: Maranatha 1-35 Viterbo
- Kinzler: 13 saves
- Paul Karnes: 1st career start
- Last time: Viterbo took home 5-0 and 1-0 wins away from Maranatha earlier this season
- Series: Viterbo now leads the series 3-1-1
- Viterbo competes in the NAIA as an independent institution
- Viterbo has posted big wins over Faith Baptist (8-0) and Northwestern (5-0) this season
The Sabercats will host the 2020 NCCAA North Region Tournament next weekend, November 6-8. Find gameday details at mbusabercats.com/schedule.