WATERTOWN, Wis. -- All good things must come to an end, and in this case, that's the Sabercats' 2020 season after a 3-0 loss to Moody in the North Region Tournament.
This result sends the Archers to the 2020 NCCAA DII National Tournament in Kissimmee, Florida for the first time since 2015. Maranatha finishes the season with a 3-9-2 record.
- Result: Maranatha 0-3 Moody
- Venue: Maranatha Baptist University
- Location: Watertown, Wis.
- Event: NCCAA North Region Tournament
- Attendance: 129
- Record: MBU (3-9-2), MBI (2-0-0)
Going into the day, the Sabercats knew that they needed a three-goal win against the Archers - something that hasn't happened since 2008. The Sabercats had their hands full right out of the gate, as they had to stave off the hard-charging archers just to keep the game tied.
Tim Kinzler made two big saves early in the game, and while the Archers looked spirited, Maranatha kept them off the scoresheet. After a gritty defensive battle in the opening half, the teams were deadlocked at zero.
Something must have been in Moody's halftime team talk because it took them just eighteen seconds to score in the second half. Kyle Jones had the honor for the Archers, and Moody had suddenly tightened their grip on the banner.
The killer blows came from Moody at the 75- and 86-minute marks. Will Snyder proved his Player-of-the-Year status by heading in a cross from Jones, and then Nick Gaviria sealed the region with a scintillating 30-yard free kick just four minutes from time.
It was always a tall order for the Sabercats, who finish a season filled with ups and downs at the hands of a regional rival.
MBU Starters: 1- Kinzler (C), 2- T. Holloway, 3- K. Elms, 4- Roer (C), 5- J. Elms, 9- Wright, 11- Cummins, 12- Steuerwald (C), 14- MacDonald, 21- Hansel, 22- Hugg
- Shot count: Maranatha 6-16 Moody
- Tim Kinzler: 4 saves
- Last time: Moody won 2-0 at the 2019 North Region Tournament
- Series: Moody now leads the series 33-14-0
- Moody competes with Maranatha for the NCCAA North Region
- Moody had to forego the regular season because of institutional and local COVID-19 restrictions
A full recap of the season is coming soon at mbusabercats.com.