WATERTOWN, Wis. -- Two penalty kicks and a barrage of shots from both teams weren't enough to settle a thrilling rendition of the Maranatha-Faith rivalry tonight.
Zeke Steuerwald was the only Sabercat to connect on a shot, as Maranatha's 29 attempts only produced a single goal in the all-region draw.
- Result: Maranatha 1-1 Faith (2OT)
- Venue: Maranatha Baptist University
- Location: Watertown, Wis.
- Attendance: 75
- Record: MBU (3-6-2), FBBC (1-6-1)
The first half was one of momentum swings, as the Sabercats put the ball into Faith's end early on but couldn't reap the benefits. Both teams were frustrated in their chances to score, as the two sides combined for just eight shots in the opening 45 minutes.
Finally, the breakthrough came in the 74th minute, when a handball in the penalty area led to a penalty kick for Maranatha. Up stepped Steuerwald, who made no mistake, burying his chance from 12 yards to give the Sabercats the needed advantage.
But just five minutes later, Faith found a carbon-copy equalizer. The visitors drew a foul in the Sabercats box and James Busenitz buried the penalty-kick opportunity into the lower corner to make it a 1-1 game.
As both teams pressed for the winner, it became clear that it just wouldn't come. Kyle Cummins almost grabbed a spectacular, 30-yard winner with a minute left in regulation, but his shot sailed just wide. Steuerwald came inches away in the overtime period, but his shot was initially saved by the FBBC goalkeeper, was deflected high in the air, and was cleared off the goal line by a stingy Faith defender.
After 110 minutes of thrilling, end-to-end regional action, the score stayed deadlocked. Both teams will look to November and the NCCAA North Region Tournament to settle the score.
MBU Starters: 1- Kinzler (C), 3- K. Elms, 4- Roer (C), 5- J. Elms, 9- Wright, 11- Cummins, 12- Steuerwald (C), 14- MacDonald, 21- Hansel, 22- Hugg, 23- Perkins
- Shot count: Maranatha 29-17 Faith
- Steuerwald: 15th career goal, two goals in two games
- Kyle Cummins: six shots on goal
- Last time: Maranatha won 2-1 at Faith earlier this season
- Series: Maranatha now leads the series 8-1-1
- Faith competes with Maranatha for the NCCAA North Region
- Faith also competes in the Midwest Christian College Conference
The Sabercats will travel to Viterbo on Thursday at 1:00 p.m. Find gameday details at mbusabercats.com/schedule.