WATERTOWN, Wis. -- Last time may have been an easy day for Viterbo, but this matchup was a different story.
After 90 combative minutes, the V-Hawks left Watertown with a gritty 1-0 win - a far cry from the 5-0 victory they coasted to last time.
- Result: Maranatha 0-1 Viterbo
- Venue: Maranatha Baptist University
- Location: Watertown, Wis.
- Attendance: 60
- Record: MBU (3-6-0), VU (5-1-0)
Despite playing into a heavy headwind, the V-Hawks were able to keep the ball in the Sabercats' end of the field for a good part of the first half. Finally, in the 20th minute, the visitors' pressure was rewarded when Erik Hernandez converted a breakaway opportunity.
The one time that Viterbo had another clear chance from inside the box came in the second half. On that opportunity, Tim Kinzler made a big save to keep the score at 1-0.
Zeke Steuerwald fired three shots on the day for MBU, but none of them found their mark, and Viterbo was able to close out the 1-0 win.
MBU Starters: 1- Kinzler (C), 2- T. Holloway, 3- K. Elms, 4- Roer (C), 5- J. Elms, 9- Wright, 11- Cummins, 12- Steuerwald (C), 14- MacDonald, 21- Hansel, 22- Hugg
- Shot count: Maranatha 5-24 Viterbo
- Kinzler: 8 saves
- Last time: Viterbo won 5-0 at MBU earlier this season.
- Series: Viterbo now leads the series 2-1-1
- Viterbo competes in the NAIA as an independent institution
- Viterbo has posted big wins over Faith Baptist (8-0) and Northwestern (5-0) this season
The Sabercats will play their final regular-season home game on Saturday at 2:00 p.m. against Great Lakes for Parents' Day. Find gameday details at mbusabercats.com/schedule.