ANKENY, Iowa -- Thanks to Jacob MacDonald's last-minute goal, the Sabercats and Coach Jeff Pill had a day to remember.
Not only did MacDonald log his first career goal (and first career assist), but it was also Coach Pill's 100th career win, as the Sabercats topped Faith Baptist on the road for a memorable day in Iowa.
- Result: Maranatha 2-1 Faith
- Venue: Maranatha Baptist University
- Location: Watertown, Wis.
- Attendance: 150
- Record: MBU (3-5-0), FBBC (1-3-0)
The game was spirited right from the start, as the Eagles were riding the momentum of their return to play and their homecoming week. The momentum paid off in the early minutes, as Faith pounded the Sabercats goal with two shots before scoring the rebound. The hosts had the lead, and the hosts had the momentum.
That lead would hold for the remainder of the first half, as Faith subdued the Sabercats with 11 shots, forcing Tim Kinzler to make five saves. At halftime, the Sabercats were on the back foot.
But then, it seemed that all the Sabercats needed was a chance to regroup. Just 10 minutes into the second half, MacDonald found space on the right side of the field before sending a hard, low pass into the FBBC penalty area. The pass was just what Kyle Cummins wanted, as the senior tidily turned in the finish to level the score at 1-1.
Cue: a back-and-forth battle between the North Region rivals. The play went end to end for the next 30 minutes, and just when the game looked to be going to overtime, the MacDonald-Cummins connection came up big.
With less than 30 seconds on the clock, MacDonald scored his first career goal with the game on the line. Cummins curled in a corner kick towards the back post, and MacDonald met the ball in the air, redirecting it over the goalkeeper to mark his first career goal and give the Sabercats a dramatic win in the North Region rivalry.
MBU Starters: 1- Kinzler (C), 2- T. Holloway, 3- K. Elms, 4- Roer (C), 5- J. Elms, 9- Wright, 11- Cummins, 12- Steuerwald (C), 14- MacDonald, 21- Hansel, 22- Hugg
"I didn't think it was going in," MacDonald said after the game. "I thought it was amazing to score that, especially with my parents here. It was a really good team effort today - glad we fought back in the second half. I know we were discouraged after the first half, but I'm thankful for this team and thank the Lord that I can be out here playing."
- Shot count: Maranatha 15-15 Faith
- Cummins: team-high 4 goals this season
- MacDonald: first career goals and assist
- Cummins, MacDonald: combined for both goals
- Coach Pill: Career win #100
- Last time: Sabercats won 4-0 and 4-1 last year
- Series: Maranatha now leads the all-time series 8-1-0
- Faith competes with Maranatha for the NCCAA North Region
- Faith came into this game off of a 5-0 defeat of Barclay College
- Faith also competes in the Midwest Christian College Conference
The Sabercats will return home to face Viterbo at 3:30 on Tuesday. Find gameday details at mbusabercats.com/schedule.