WATERTOWN, Wis. -- The Sabercats persisted and improved, but they still fell short against the Grace Christian University Tigers on the campus of MBU.
Despite firing off 10 shots, six of which were on goal, the Sabercats took another shutout loss to drop to 2-5-0 on the season.
- Result: Maranatha 0-6 Grace Christian
- Venue: Maranatha Baptist University
- Location: Watertown, Wis.
- Attendance: 50
- Record: MBU (2-5-0), GCU (3-1-0)
Grace Christian was eager right from the start, barraging Maranatha with 16 shots in the opening half. It was a 1-0 game halfway through the first half, but two goals in two minutes propelled the Tigers to a 3-0 lead around the 30-minute mark. One more goal from the visitors gave them a 4-0 lead entering halftime - a lead that seemed insurmountable for MBU.
At the other end of the field, Kyle Cummins snapped three shots on goal, but Levi Pant was up to the take, making the save on all three occasions.
The Tigers picked up where they left off after the halftime break, scoring twice in the first 10 minutes of the second half.
The Sabercats created some chances at the other end as the game wore on, but the breakthrough just wouldn't come. After a hard-fought 90 minutes, the Tigers had secured the shutout, the away win, and their third win of the 2020 season.
MBU Starters: 1- Kinzler (C), 2- T. Holloway, 3- K. Elms, 4- Roer (C), 5- J. Elms, 9- Wright, 11- Cummins, 12- Steuerwald (C), 14- MacDonald, 21- Hansel, 22- Hugg
- Shot count: Grace 16-5 Maranatha
- MBU: Tied Grace in shots (5-5) in the second half
- Cummins: 3 shots on goal
- Last time: Grace defended their home field earlier this season 8-0
- Series: Maranatha now leads the all-time series 17-7-0
- Grace Christian competes in the NCCAA Mideast Region
- Grace Christian finished last season with a 16-5 record
- Grace Christian took a Top-4 finish last year at the NCCAA DII National Tournament
The Sabercats will travel to Faith Baptist next Saturday for a 12:00 p.m. kickoff. Find gameday details at mbusabercats.com/schedule.