WATERTOWN, Wis. -- For the second time in two weeks, the Sabercats have come up short against the Northwestern Eagles.
This game was much different than the game at Northwestern, as a late goal sealed the 2-0 win for the hardworking visitors.
- Result: Maranatha 0-2 Northwestern
- Venue: Maranatha Baptist University
- Location: Watertown, Wis.
- Attendance: 81
- Record: MBU (2-4-0), UNW (2-3-0)
The Sabercats showed they were out for revenge after the loss from two weeks ago. Zeke Steuerwald had his early chance denied by Andrew Skoglund in the UNW net.
The Eagles then got on the board in the 18th minute. Samuel Jorgenson sent Koby Wesselink into the Sabercats box, and Wesselink's hard-hit shot got the better of Tim Kinzler to give the visitors the advantage.
Jackson Elms almost put the Sabercats on the scoreboard not five minutes later - the freshman put his head on a Kyle Cummins corner kick, but the header was steered wide by Skoglund. Stephen Roer and Cummins also had shots turned away, as Skoglund was working overtime to keep the Eagles on top going into halftime.
The second half saw the Sabercats claw for the equalizer. Joshua Wright sent in a couple of dangerous corner kicks and the Sabercats created multiple chances from free kicks, but the wall of Eagle defenders stood firm.
The dagger came with six minutes left, when Peter Skoglund drove a shot from the top of the Sabercats' box into the far corner. The goal came just seconds after a couple of chances at the other end for the Sabercats, so the two-goal UNW cushion really took the wind out of the Sabercats' sails.
MBU Starters: 1- Kinzler (C), 2- T. Holloway, 3- K. Elms, 4- Roer (C), 5- J. Elms, 9- Wright, 11- Cummins, 12- Steuerwald (C), 14- MacDonald, 21- Hansel, 22- Hugg
- Shot Count: Maranatha 8-22 Northwestern
- Cummins, Steuerwald, Roer, Elms: All registered shots on goal
- Last time: Northwestern won 4-0 at Northwestern on September 17
- Series: Northwestern now leads the series 3-2
- Northwestern competes in the Upper Midwest Athletic Conference
- Northwestern finished the 2019 season with a 4-14-1 record
- Northwestern is affiliated with the NCAA DIII and the NCCAA
The Sabercats stay home Saturday to face Grace Christian University at 1:00 p.m. Find gameday details at mbusabercats.com/schedule.