WATERTOWN, Wis. -- The Sabercats never recovered from a slow start today, falling to Viterbo 5-0.
- Result: Maranatha 0-5 Viterbo
- Venue: Maranatha Baptist University
- Location: Watertown, Wis.
- Attendance: 126
- Record: MBU (2-3-0), VU (2-1-0)
The visiting V-Hawks hit the ground running, scoring twice in the opening 10 minutes to send a message to MBU. Then in the 25th minute, Arsenios Dimitriou curled a shot from well outside the box into the top corner to give the V-Hawks a commanding lead entering halftime.
Steuerwald had a couple of chances at the other end of the field but his efforts were turned away by the Viterbo goalkeeper.
The Sabercats started the second half well, keeping the V-Hawks off the scoreboard in the second half. The first scare came the Sabercats' way when they conceded a penalty kick, but a staunch double save from Kinzler busted the V-Hawks bid for a fourth goal.
The visitors' pressure finally paid off late on, as they added two more in the final 12 minutes to seal the win on the MBU campus.
MBU Starters: 1- Kinzler (C), 2- T. Holloway, 3- K. Elms, 4- Roer (C), 5- J. Elms, 9- Wright, 11- Cummins, 12- Steuerwald (C), 14- MacDonald, 21- Hansel, 22- Hugg
- Shot Count: Maranatha 9-21 Viterbo
- Steuerwald: 4 shots, 4 on goal
- Kinzler: 9 saves in the loss
- Last time: The two teams tied 1-1 at Viterbo last October
- Series: The series now stands at 1-1-1
- Viterbo competes in the NAIA as an independent institution
- Viterbo has posted big wins over Faith Baptist (8-0) and Northwestern (4-1) this season
The Sabercats play their second home game of the season on Tuesday at 4:00 p.m. against Northwestern (Minn.). Find gameday details at mbusabercats.com/schedule.