ST. PAUL, Minn. -- On a chilly Minnesota afternoon, the Sabercats were shut out in their second consecutive away game.
Four shots found the back of the net for University of Northwestern, as the Sabercats found themselves out-gunned in the Twin Cities.
- Result: Maranatha 0-4 Northwestern
- Venue: Reynolds Field, University of Northwestern
- Location: Minneapolis, Minn.
- Attendance: 60
- Record: MBU (1-2-0), UNW (1-2-0)
Northwestern piled the pressure on in the opening minutes, and they were eventually rewarded with two goals off of corner kicks in the first half, both coming from Cole Alfrey. Tim Kinzler stayed warm behind the Sabercats' back line, making nine saves in the opening half.
The Eagles wasted no time in scoring a second-half goal. Joshua Hintz found space at the top of the Sabercats' box and nested his shot neatly into the right corner to increase the lead to three. Then with 20 minutes left. Jonathan-Thomas Olsen broke into the left side of the Sabercats' penalty area and fired hard to the far corner to beat Kinzler for the final goal of the day.
The closest the Sabercats would come was a Braeden Hansel free kick in the second half. But the sophomore's effort from the corner of the box was turned away by Aidan Lynch in the Northwestern net.
MBU Starters: 1- Kinzler (C), 2- T. Holloway, 3- K. Elms, 4- Roer (C), 5- J. Elms, 9- Wright, 11- Cummins, 12- Steuerwald (C), 14- MacDonald, 21- Hansel, 22- Hugg
- Box score: TBA
- Debut: Sam Lazzell made a second-half appearance to mark his collegiate debut
- Series: The all-time series is now tied 2-2 with the previous game being played in 1984
- Northwestern competes in the Upper Midwest Athletic Conference
- Northwestern finished the 2019 season with a 4-14-1 record
- Northwestern is affiliated with the NCAA DIII and the NCCAA
The Sabercats travel to Lincoln Christian University for a 4:00 p.m. kickoff on Saturday. Find gameday details at mbusabercats.com/schedule.