DUBUQUE, Iowa -- In a rematch from September's overtime thriller, all was quiet until a furious final 20 minutes between Maranatha and Emmaus, with MBU taking a 3-1 comeback win.
- Result: Maranatha 3-1 Emmaus
- Venue: Jack Fish Field, Emmaus Bible College
- Location: Dubuque, Iowa
- Attendance: 39
- Records: MBU (7-6-2), EBC (2-10-1)
The first half yielded few opportunities either way. Zeke Steuerwald did hit the post just over a half-hour into the game, but no one was able to find the back of the net.
The breakthrough finally came with 20 minutes left in the game, as Emmaus scored despite Maranatha's persistent pressure. Against the run of play, the Eagles made the most of a fast counter-attack to put themselves ahead 1-0.
But just over four minutes left, the Sabercats' constant pressure finally paid off. After Teddy Kincaid evaded two defenders at the top of the penalty area, he slipped a pass to Nelson, who nestled a shot from 20 yards into the bottom-left corner to tie the game.
Less than 10 minutes after Nelson's goal, Caleb Hockema netted his second collegiate goal, and Nelson had the assist. The Raleigh native sent a corner kick right in front of the Emmaus goal, and Hockema redirected the ball into the back of the net from close range using his shoulder. Just like that, Maranatha had the lead.
With just four minutes left in the game, Josh Hockema nailed his first collegiate goal at the perfect time. Once again, Nelson sent in a corner kick, and the second-year student-athlete drilled a shot through a crowded goal area and into the bottom corner to seal the win.
MBU Starters: 1- Kinzler, 4- Roer, 7- Nelson, 8- Campbell, 9- Wright, 10-St. Lawrence (C), 11- DeAngelo (C), 12- Steuerwald, 15- J. Hockema, 18- Shepard, 19- C. Hockema (C)
- Shot count: Maranatha 24-6 Emmaus
- Nelson: 1 goal, 2 assists
- C. Hockema: second career goal
- J. Hockema: first career goal
- Kincaid: 2 assists in 2 games
- Last time: Maranatha won 2-1 at home in overtime on September 12
- Series: Maranatha now leads the all-time series 6-0-0
- Emmaus competes with Maranatha for the NCCAA North Region
- Emmaus recently suffered consecutive defeats against Faith Baptist Bible College
- Emmaus is currently 2-6-1 in NCCAA DII competition this season
The Sabercats will stay in Iowa for their final regular-season game against Faith Baptist Bible College tomorrow at 12:00 p.m. in Ankeny, Iowa. Follow at mbusabercats.com/schedule.