LA CROSSE, Wis. -- In a rematch of a one-goal battle from a couple of weeks ago, neither the Sabercats nor the Viterbo V-Hawks could find the winner.
After Eldiiar Amankulov tied the game in the second half, neither team found a deciding second goal through 110 windy minutes in La Crosse.
- Result: Maranatha 1-1 Viterbo (OT)
- Venue: Viterbo Athletics Complex, Viterbo University
- Location: La Crosse, Wis.
- Attendance: 41
- Records: MBU (5-5-2), VU (6-6-1)
It was a cagey opening, as neither team had many clear chances in the first half. But shortly after the halftime break, Viterbo drew first blood through Sam Ginther, who slotted home from just inside the box to give the hosts the lead.
But just 10 minutes after Ginther's goal, Maranatha cut through the wind to find the equalizer. A loose ball at the top of the box bounced to the feet of Asa St. Lawrence, who sent it right back into traffic. Amankulov had to think quickly, and he redirected the ball to the top corner of the net for his first career goal. Just like that, it was back to square one.
In the end, a tie was fitting. Both teams had their chances to win, and it was an evenly-balanced matchup from start to finish. Tim Kinzler made a point-blank save in overtime to keep the Sabercats alive, but at the other end of the field, the Blue and Gold could not solve the problem of the Viterbo defense.
The tie was the second one this season for the Sabercats, who are now 1-0-2 in overtime games.
MBU Starters: 1- Kinzler, 4- Roer, 7- Nelson, 8- Campbell, 9-Wright, 10-St. Lawrence, 11- DeAngelo (C), 12- Steuerwald, 15- J. Hockema, 18- Shepard, 19- C. Hockema (C)
- Shot count: Maranatha 18-25 Viterbo
- Kinzler: 9 saves
- Cards: One yellow card for each team
- Last time: Maranatha won 1-0 at home on September 28
- Series: Maranatha now leads the all-time series 1-0
- The V-Hawks compete in the NAIA as an independent institution
- As members of the AII, Viterbo is eligible for the NAIA national tournament
- The V-Hawks are coming off of a 2-3 overtime loss at Concordia-Moorhead on Sunday
The Sabercats will have the weekend off before hosting Illinois Tech on Monday for a 3:30 p.m. kickoff. Follow at mbusabercats.com/schedule.