WATERTOWN, Wis. -- In a marathon back-and-forth battle, the Sabercats and the Ripon Red Hawks battled to a rainy tie on the MBU campus this afternoon.
Joel Shepard scored his third goal of the season as the Sabercats finished the week undefeated at 2-0-1.
- Result: Maranatha 1-1 Ripon (OT)
- Venue: Maranatha Baptist University
- Location: Watertown, Wis.
- Attendance: 156
- Records: MBU (3-3-1), RC (0-6-1)
The Maranatha-Ripon game is always closely-contested, as four of the last six meetings have been decided by one goal. This game ultimately produced the same scoreline as the 2015 edition, and the Sabercats got on the board first in the 66th minute when Joel Shepard headed in a close-range finish off a Tyler Nelson cross.
Both teams battled for consistent chances, and the Red Hawks looked eager to equalize as the game neared the end of regulation. The pressure from the visitors finally paid off in the 84th minute, when Esteban Borja finished a well-worked passing move to send the game into overtime.
Once overtime hit, the Sabercats showed signs of fatigue from their sixth game in the last two weeks. Both teams created chances but no one was able to find the back of the net. The Maranatha-Ripon series was tied going into this game and, fittingly, the series will remain tied until the teams can settle the difference in a future meeting.
Tim Kinzler (7 saves) and Kenny Smith (6 saves) both stayed busy on the afternoon, doing their part to keep their team in the game.
MBU Starters: 1- Kinzler, 2- Risma (C), 4- Roer, 7- Nelson, 8- Campbell, 9- Wright, 10- St. Lawrence (C), 12- Steuerwald, 15- J. Hockema, 18- Shepard, 19- C. Hockema (C)
- Shot count: Maranatha 15-18 Ripon
- Shots on goal: Maranatha 11-10 Ripon
- Zeke Steuerwald: 6 shots on goal
- Last year: Ripon won 2-1 at home
- Series: The series is now tied at 5-5-3
- Ripon competes in the Midwest Conference (NCAA DIII)
- The Red Hawks have had six straight losses to NACC teams this season
- Ripon will have one more non-conference matchup before beginning conference play
The Sabercats will travel to Moody Bible Institute on Tuesday for a 4:00 p.m. kickoff. Find results at mbusabercats.com/schedule.