WATERTOWN, Wis. -- An early own goal and a clutch late goal from Zeke Steuerwald lifted the Sabercats to a 2-0 win over Lakeland University this afternoon.
It was the Sabercats' second shutout win in as many games, and they will look to conclude a perfect week at home with one more win on Saturday.
- Result: Maranatha 2-0 Lakeland
- Venue: Maranatha Baptist University
- Location: Watertown, Wis.
- Attendance: 139
- Records: MBU (3-3-0), LU (2-4-1)
On paper, this game was going to be a toss-up, as Lakeland had posted similar results to the Sabercats so far this season. Both teams created early chances but the Sabercats found the first goal in the 15th minute when Tyler Nelson whipped in a corner kick that deflected off a Lakeland defender and into the back of the net. Nelson's corner kicks proved to be dangerous throughout the first half, but the Sabercats only capitalized on one.
Another MBU chance came in the 39th minute when Nathan Campbell sent in a free kick to the top of the box. Bryant Sturgill met it with a powerful header that crashed off the crossbar and away to safety. Lakeland pushed for an equalizer before halftime but Tim Kinzler made two saves to keep the Muskies off the scoresheet.
Kinzler stayed busy in the second half, making five saves to keep the sheet clean. At the other end of the field, Lakeland's Aaron Smith made six saves but was finally beaten in the 75th minute. Braeden Hansel notched his first career assist with a perfectly-weighted long pass over the Muskie defenders. Steuerwald then beat everyone to the ball and slipped it past the oncoming Smith for a perfectly timed insurance goal.
From there, the Sabercats sealed out the win to mark their second win this week and their second consecutive shutout.
MBU Starters: 1- Kinzler, 4- Roer, 5- Sturgill, 7- Nelson, 8- Campbell, 9- Wright, 10- St. Lawrence (C), 12- Steuerwald, 14- Ice, 15- J. Hockema, 18- Shepard
- Shot count: Maranatha 10-15 Lakeland
- Steuerwald: 6 shots, 5 on goal
- Steuerwald: now has two goals in two games
- Hansel: first career assist
- Sturgill: 3 shots, 2 on goal
- Last year: Lakeland won 3-0 at home
- Series: Lakeland now leads the series 24-18
- Lakeland competes in the Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference (NCAA DIII)
- So far, the Muskies have had five non-conference DIII games and a game against Moody Bible Institute
- Lakeland finished at 3-16 last year after beating Finlandia twice and Maranatha once
The Sabercats will continue their home stand against Ripon on Saturday for a 1:00 kickoff. Watch live at mbusabercats.com/schedule.