WATERTOWN, Wis. -- After dominating play from start to finish, the Sabercats took a 4-0 win over Faith Baptist Bible College to stay perfect in NCCAA regional play.
- Result: Maranatha 4-0 Faith
- Venue: Maranatha Baptist University
- Location: Watertown, Wis.
- Attendance: 109
- Records: MBU (2-3-0), FBBC (2-3-0)
It took the Sabercats quite a while to see their pressure pay off, but they finally broke through the Faith defense through the left foot of Nelson. After some sharp passing from MBU, St. Lawrence slipped the ball to Nelson, who hit a one-time shot from the top of the box that nestled into the bottom corner to give Maranatha the advantage.
From there, the floodgates seemed to open, as the Sabercats went on to score two more goals before the halftime break. Nelson sent in a corner kick to Shepard, who headed home his second goal of the season in the 41st minute, and two minutes later, St. Lawrence scored his second goal in as many games. The senior captain pulled off a tidy move at the top of the box to beat a Faith defender before firing a left-footed shot that beat Jason Conable at the near post to increase the lead to three.
The Eagles tightened up their defense in the second half, but the Sabercats still found a way to break through. Once again, the goal came off a corner kick, as Steuerwald headed in a cross from St. Lawrence for the final goal of the game.
MBU Starters: 1- Kinzler, 4- Roer, 5- Sturgill, 7- Nelson, 8- Campbell, 10- St. Lawrence (C), 11- DeAngelo (C), 12- Steuerwald, 14- Ice, 15- J. Hockema, 18- Shepard
- Shot count: Maranatha 27-6 Faith
- St. Lawrence: 2 goals in 2 games, notched 2 assists
- Nelson, Shepard: Second goal this season
- Steuerwald: 4 shots on goal
- Last year: Maranatha beat Faith 2-0 and 3-0
- Series: Maranatha now leads the series, 6-1-0
- Faith competes with the Sabercats in the NCCAA North Region
- The Eagles also compete in the Midwest Christian College Conference
- FBBC will have 11 NCCAA games during their regular season
The Sabercats will continue their home stand with a clash with the Lakeland Muskies at 4:00 p.m. Thursday. Watch live at mbusabercats.com/schedule.