WATERTOWN, Wis. -- It was a two-goal game until the final minute, then the MSOE Raiders landed a sucker punch on the Sabercats to take home a hard-fought shutout win.
The Sabercats stayed competitive in the matchup but saw yet another result fall to MSOE, who won by the same scoreline as the 2018 matchup.
- Result: Maranatha 0-3 MSOE
- Venue: Maranatha Baptist University
- Location: Watertown, Wis.
- Attendance: 121
- Records: MBU (0-2-0), MSOE (2-0-1)
The game was competitive from start to finish, as both teams fought for control of the midfield. After applying constant pressure, the Raiders finally broke through seven minutes before halftime, when Kyler Tanis' cross found Antonio Roselli, who crashed in a header at the back post to give the Raiders a halftime lead.
Just over five minutes into the second half, the Raiders doubled their advantage. This time, Joey Schauer converted from the penalty spot to make it a two-goal game.
The Sabercats tried to equalize and created some decent chances in the second half, but as MBU pressed forward to find a goal, the Raiders took advantage of the openings in the back. In the final minute, Arsenius Adoghme found space behind the Sabercats' back line and slotted in a breakaway finish to land the sucker punch in the 3-0 win.
MBU Starters: 1- Kinzler, 4- Roer, 6- Burckart, 7- Nelson, 8- Campbell, 10- St. Lawrence (C), 11- DeAngelo (C), 12- Steuerwald, 15- J. Hockema, 18- Shepard, 19- C. Hockema (C)
- Shot count: MSOE 25-6 MBU
- Tim Kinzler: 9 saves in the loss
- Roselli: 3 shots, 3 on goal
- Schauer: 4 shots, 2 on goal
- Adoghme: 2 shots, 2 on goal
- Last time: MSOE defended their home field in 2018, winning 3-0
- Series: MSOE now leads the series, 28-14-1
- The Raiders compete in the NACC and have not started conference play
- MSOE just defeated Ripon College 2-0
- MSOE will have six non-conference games before beginning NACC play
- MSOE won the regular-season NACC title in 2018 and finished second in the NACC Tournament
The Sabercats stay home for a 4:00 p.m. match on Thursday with NCCAA North Region opponents Emmaus Bible College. Follow at mbusabercats.com/schedule.