BELOIT, Wis. -- After a fast start, the Sabercats let the Beloit Bucs secure a 4-1 win at the Strong Athletic Complex this afternoon.
The win was the first in four games for Beloit, as the Sabercats see their season off to a less-than-desired start.
- Result: Maranatha 1-4 Beloit
- Venue: Strong Athletic Complex, Beloit College
- Location: Beloit, Wis.
- Attendance: 134
- Records: MBU (0-1-0), BC (1-2-1)
It was all going the Sabercats' way in the opening minutes, as they controlled possession and created a few good looks at goal. But just after Tim Kinzler made two point-blank saves, the Buccaneers broke through with authority. Two goals in just over a minute - both from corner kicks - gave Beloit room to breathe midway through the first half.
The Sabercats fought back in the 40th minute through a well-placed penalty kick from Austin DeAngelo, but that was all the Sabercats could muster in the first half.
A tactical change from Coach Jeff Pill put Beloit under pressure in the second half, but as the Sabercats pressed to win the game, Beloit took advantage of new openings at the other end of the field. Goals in the 52nd and 65th minutes gave the Bucs some more insurance room, and it was too much for the Sabercats to recover from.
Tyler Nelson had two good chances for Maranatha in the later stages of the second half - his close-range shot was cleared off the line by a Beloit center-back, and a few minutes later, Nelson's 30-yard free kick from swerved just wide of the Bucs' net.
MBU Starters: 1- Kinzler, 4- Roer, 6- Burckart, 7- Nelson, 8- Campbell, 10- St. Lawrence (C), 11- DeAngelo (C), 12- Steuerwald, 15- J. Hockema, 18- Shepard, 19- C. Hockema (C)
- Shot count: MBU 12-25 BC
- DeAngelo: 3 shots, 2 on target
- Nelson, Nathan Campbell: 2 shots each
- Yellow cards: 2 for each team
- Debutants: Taylor Dafoe, Braeden Hansel, and Joshua Wright all made their collegiate debuts for MBU.
- Series: Beloit leads the series, 6-3-0
- The Bucs compete in the Midwest Conference of the NCAA DIII
- Beloit dropped their opening two games before tying Edgewood in double overtime
- Beloit is bouncing back from a 4-13-1 season in 2018
- On their home field, the Bucs have lost only once to Maranatha since 2010
The Sabercats have their home opener on Monday against MSOE in a 4:00 p.m. kickoff. Follow at mbusabercats.com/composite.