APPLETON, Wis. -- The Sabercats sustained their heaviest loss of the season tonight, falling to Lawrence University by a score of 0-6.
This was the second multiple-goal loss that the Sabercats have suffered at Lawrence recently, and the Vikings have now won each of the last three games in the series.
- Result: Maranatha 0-6 Lawrence
- Venue: The Banta Bowl, Lawrence University
- Location: Appleton, Wis.
- Attendance: 61
- Records: MBU (4-12-0), LU (4-13-0)
It started in the eighth minute for the Vikings, as Jawad Wleidat scored his first of two goals on the night. Wleidat touched his finish to the far post off a loose ball following a corner kick. The second Lawrence goal came just seconds before halftime, as Andrea Arivella sent in a cross that found the far corner.
The closest the Sabercats came in the first half was when Tyler Nelson's header was kept out of the upper corner by an alert Cole Kelez, who secured the shutout in the net for Lawrence.
At halftime, the score was 0-2 in favor of the hosts.
Lawrence picked up where they left off to start the second half, and it was the head of Sam Parkhurst that scored twice in 10 minutes to extend the lead to four for the Vikings. The fifth came from Arivella, as he sent a ball across the Sabercats' goal that took a deflection on its way in. The final goal came from Wleidat again, as he finished a penalty kick to cap the night off for LU.
Wleidat has been the Sabercats' primary antagonist in the series recently, as the big forward has recorded six goals in the last three games in the series.
- Wleidat: 6 shots, 4 on goal
- Arivella: 5 shots, 4 on goal
- Lawrence: 3 different goal-scorers, each with 2 goals
- Series: Lawrence leads the series, 3-1-1
- Lawrence are members of the Midwest Conference
- The Vikings defeated Ripon College 4-0 and lost to Beloit 4-1 this season
- Ripon and Beloit are the only other Midwest Conference opponents that MBU have faced this season
- This was Lawrence's final home game this season
The Sabercats will conclude the regular season with a 3 p.m. match against Finlandia on Thursday. That match is rescheduled from September 25. Follow at mbusabercats.com/composite.