CHICAGO -- After an electric comeback win on the weekend, the Sabercats received an unwelcome start to a new week, falling 0-3 to Illinois Tech in the Windy City tonight.
Tech scored three goals in the opening 15 minutes, and that was all they needed. MBU locked things down for the remaining 75 minutes, but it wasn't enough.
- Result: Maranatha 0-3 IIT
- Venue: Stuart Field, Illinois Institute of Technology
- Location: Chicago
- Attendance: 100
- Records: MBU (2-10-0), IIT (7-6-0)
It started going the Scarlet Hawks' way right from the start, as the hosts defended their home turf by going right at the Sabercats. Conner Shaw got IIT on the board in the third minute when he cut a shot to the near post from just inside the box. The second goal came just over five minutes into the game when Luigi Michelin pounced on a rebound from a Matt Gombar shot.
The third goal came straight off the practice field, as Luke Holzman scored a well-placed header from a Diego Cazales cross. Just over 12 minutes into the game, the Sabercats looked to be in for a long afternoon.
Despite the sluggish start, the Sabercats tightened things up on the defensive side and limited the Scarlet Hawks to long-range shots over the remainder of the first half.
The second half was a continuation of the first, as the Sabercats frustrated the IIT attack. Maranatha almost pulled a goal back through Tyler Nelson, but his shot crashed off the underside of the crossbar without crossing the goal line. It came after a quick interchange of passing at the top of the IIT penalty area, but MBU had nothing to show for the sharp move.
Andrew Taylor came up big a couple of times in the second half, and the MBU defense did enough to keep IIT off the board for the remainder of the game
- Shot count: IIT 23-4 MBU
- Peter Fouchet: 6 shots for IIT
- Taylor: 6 saves on the day
- Series: IIT leads the series, 5-1-0
- The Scarlet Hawks compete in the Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference (first year in the NACC)
- IIT just posted back-to-back conference wins, topping Concordia-Chicago and Rockford
- Luke Holzman leads IIT with 5 goals on the season
The Sabercats will travel to Ankeny, Iowa to take on Faith Baptist on Saturday at 1:00 p.m. Follow at mbusabercats.com/composite.