PLYMOUTH, Wis. -- It was anyone's game for 75 minutes, then three late goals won the night for the notably revitalized Lakeland Muskies.
The 3-0 loss was Maranatha's fourth of the season - the team is yet to win a game after four narrow defeats.
- Result: Maranatha 0-3 Lakeland
- Venue: Taylor Field, Lakeland University
- Location: Plymouth, Wis.
- Attendance: 132
- Records: MBU (0-4-0), LU (2-1-0)
It was a fast, back-and-forth start, but neither team had a clear-cut chance. Lakeland came closest around the 21st minute with a 30-yard shot that crashed off the face of the post. A few minutes later, Austin DeAngelo got on the end of a deflected pass from Zeke Steuerwald and dribbled around the goalkeeper, but DeAngelo was forced wide by a Muskie defender and couldn't direct his shot on frame.
Andrew Taylor once again kept the Sabercats in the game, as the MBU captain would go on to make eight saves in the match.
The first half was evenly matched, as both teams recorded two shots on goal. But neither team found the back of the net in the opening 45 minutes.
The Lakeland goal came in the 75th minute when Ryoto Kinoshita found the back of the net for Lakeland to break the tie. Kinoshita's first goal of the season gave the Muskies the momentum they needed for the late push.
The second came just seven minutes later when Lakeland executed a well-rehearsed counter-attack, ending with a curled ball to the back post from Kinoshita, which Shousei Suzuki met with a lunging header. 2-0 Muskies.
Then came the dagger, and Kinoshita was involved once again. LU's danger man slipped a ball into the Sabercats box, and Alex Kelly met the through ball and buried it into the far corner to finalize the scoring for the Muskies.
- Kinoshita: had 1 goal and 2 assists
- Kelly: had 5 shots, 1 goal
- Tyler Nelson: had 3 shots - the most for MBU
- Shot count: Lakeland outshot Maranatha, 23-6
- Series: Lakeland leads the all-time series, 24-17, and has won 3 of the last 5
- The Muskies compete in the Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference.
- After going winless during the 2017 season, the Muskies are now 2-1-0 after a 1-0 win against Finlandia earlier this week
The Sabercats will travel to MSOE on Tuesday at 7:00 p.m. Find details of the game at mbusabercats.com/composite.