FOND DU LAC, Wis. -- On a snowy night in Wisconsin, the Sabercats fall 100-60 in Fond du Lac, as they couldn't handle Marian University or Tyler Gouin.
Taylor Ball did his best to step up in the absence of the injured Stephen Wilkerson, but even the senior's impressive 30 points was no match for Marian or Gouin, who had 39 of his own to lead the Sabres to the win.
- Result: Maranatha 60-100 Marian
- Venue: Sadoff Gymnasium, Marian University
- Location: Fond du Lac, Wis.
- Attendance: (closed doors)
- Records: MBU (4-4), MU (1-0)
Ball got started right away by singlehandedly scoring the Sabercats' first 14 points, but Marian came to play. It was the hosts' first game of the season, but you couldn't tell by the way they were playing. After some early misses, Marian heated up to score 53 points by the halftime horn. Marian stayed out of foul trouble and took their chances, shooting over 50 percent from the field while out-rebounding Maranatha 22-15.
It was seemingly a two-man show for a while - Taylor Ball and Tyler Gouin of Marian both hit the 30-points mark with time to spare. Ball seemed eager to fill the void left by Stephen Wilkerson, and Gouin seemed like he couldn't miss.
The second half was almost a copy of the first, with Marian out-scoring Maranatha by 20 points. Jed Mayhak got into double figures to compile 13 points and nine boards, but overall, it just wasn't Maranatha's night. Their 19 turnovers cost them, and Marian's overall quality was just too much to handle.
Maranatha Starters: 2- T. Ball, 3- Mayhak, 4- Steuerwald, 5- Sanders, 15- Davis // Marian Starters: 11- Brakebush, 14- Greenthal, 22- Gouin, 23- Britton, 31- Paulus
- Ball: 30 PTS, 3 REB
- Mayhak: 13 PTS, 9 REB
- Davis: Earned the start and finished with 7 PTS, 3 REB
- Tyler Gouin: 39 PTS for Marian
- MU: Shot 50 percent
- MU: Had 13 points off MBU's 19 turnovers
- Last time: The Sabres took home a 71-56 win in January of 2013
- Series: Marian now leads the series 62-19
- Series: Maranatha Men's Basketball has faced Marian 81 times - the most of any of the 125 opponents in the 50-year history of the program
- Marian competes in the Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference of the NCAA DIII
- Marian cancelled all contests until 2021
- Marian finished last season with a 4-21 record
The Sabercats will return home to face MSOE Thursday night for a 7:00 p.m. tip. Find details at mbusabercats.com/schedule.