WATERTOWN, Wis. -- Once MSOE hit a mid-game surge, there was no comeback for Maranatha - in their first game back from break, the Sabercats fell 90-71 to the MSOE Raiders.
- Result: Maranatha 71-90 MSOE
- Venue: Maranatha Baptist University
- Location: Watertown, Wis.
- Attendance: 102
- Records: MBU (3-2), MSOE (1-0)
The Sabercats hadn't played a game in over a month, and the rust seemed to show up in their shooting. By the end of the night, the Sabercats shot just 35 percent from the field and an anomalistic 36 percent from downtown. MSOE forced the Sabercats to take some hurried shots from distance in the first half, and after an early defensive battle, the Raiders went into the locker room with a 40-29 advantage.
All it took for the Raiders was one half of basketball to find their form for the season. After the halftime break, MSOE launched a 24-7 run just in the opening seven minutes. The Raiders showcased their depth, and they never looked back, keeping the Sabercats out of reach until the final horn. The Raiders converted 18 offensive boards into 21 second-chance points, out-rebounding the Sabercats 50-27 on the night.
Brandt Cashner checked in for his collegiate debut in the second half and scored his first collegiate point from the line. Cashner's efforts got the Sabercats to within 20 points, but after tonight's performance, they will be looking to set the record straight in their second game with MSOE next Thursday night.
Maranatha Starters: 2- Ball, 3- Mayhak, 4- Steuerwald, 5- Sanders, 23- Wilkerson // MSOE Starters: 10- Pitrof, 21- Herzog, 24- Linn, 32- Beekman, 34- Miklowski
- Wilkerson: 16 PTS, 7 REB, 4 AST
- Moultrie: 15 PTS, 6 REB, 3 AST
- Aaron Sanders: 11 PTS, 2 AST
- MBU: 35.4 FG%, 36.1 3PT%
- MSOE: 48.7 FG%
- MSOE: 18 Offensive Rebounds
- Rebounding: MSOE 50-27 MBU
- Last time: The Raiders won 91-67 in December 2018
- Series: MSOE now leads the all-time series 44-30
- MSOE competes in the NCAA DIII Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference
- MSOE finished the 2019-20 season with a 15-13 record and a runner-up finish in the NACC Tournament as the #5 seed
- MSOE postponed all contests prior to 2021
The Sabercats will hit the road to face Cardinal Stritch University on Saturday at 3:30 p.m. Find details at mbusabercats.com/schedule.