WATERTOWN, Wis. -- The night after a hard-fought loss to Great Lakes, the Sabercats gutted out a win over Free Lutheran Bible College.
Maranatha had four starters in double digits as the team fought fatigue to take an 87-78 win on their second consecutive gameday.
- Result: Maranatha 87-78 Free Lutheran
- Venue: Maranatha Baptist University
- Location: Watertown, Wis.
- Attendance: 398
- Record: MBU (8-10)
The Sabercats were riding the momentum of their performance the night before, as they controlled the game right out of the gate. Taylor Ball's 13 points and another dozen from Aaron Sanders were part of a 53-point effort in the opening half, which was capped off in highlight-reel style by Zeke Steuerwald. The junior took matters into his own hands with three seconds on the clock, and proceeded to drill a shot from just beyond halfcourt to bring the crowd to its feet.
The Sabercats definitely slowed down in the opening minutes of the second half, showing the inevitable signs of fatigue following the hyper-competitive game the night before. The lull allowed Free Lutheran to make a run at a comeback, as the visitors would win the second half but not the game. The closest the visitors would come would be only six points, however, as the Sabercats saw the win to completion, earning a well-deserved day off.
MBU Starters: 2- Ball, 3- Mayhak, 4- Steuerwald 5- Sanders, 23- Wilkerson
- Stephen Wilkerson: 21 PTS, 4 REB, 5 AST
- Ball: 20 PTS, 11 REB, 3 AST
- Sanders: 16 PTS, 9 REB
- Steuerwald: 11 PTS, 7 REB, 6 AST
- Last year: The Sabercats won 80-72 at home
- Series: Maranatha now leads the all-time series 2-0
- FLBC competes in the Northern Intercollegiate Athletic Conference and the Association of Christian College Athletics
- FLBC is currently 4th out of 10 in the NIAC
The Sabercats will travel to NCCAA North Region rivals, Moody Bible Institute, on Tuesday night at 7:00 p.m. Find details at mbusabercats.com/schedule.