WATERTOWN, Wis. -- In a balanced team win, the Sabercats took down Emmaus Bible College tonight in emphatic fashion.
MBU had four student-athletes in double figures in the 30-point win as Maranatha beat Emmaus for the second time this season.
- Result: Maranatha 90-60 Emmaus
- Venue: Maranatha Baptist University
- Location: Watertown, Wis.
- Attendance: 133
- Records: MBU (5-9), EBC (1-13)
The Sabercats put out some of their best defense of the season in the opening half, stifling Emmaus en route to allowing just 18 points in the first 20 minutes. Emmaus hit just one in six shots from the floor, and MBU shot 50 percent at the other end of the court. Caleb Moultrie came off the bench to put on a three-point clinic - Moultrie was a perfect 3-3 from downtown to lead the Sabercats with nine points in the first half.
All told, the Sabercats had nine people contribute to the scoring, and 22 of the 40 points came from the bench. At the break, MBU held a 40-18 advantage.
Emmaus picked up their slack in the second half with 42 points, but the damage had already been done. Not to mention, MBU topped that with another 50 points of their own in the second half to put the cherry on top.
Aaron Sanders was the mainstay for Maranatha in the second half, logging 11 points to lead the Blue and Gold. Brenden Caldwell added another eight points from the bench to lead the subs, and the Sabercats cruised to another celebratory night on the MBU campus.
MBU Starters: 2- Ball, 3- Mayhak, 4- Steuerwald 5- Sanders, 23- Wilkerson
- Sanders: 14 PTS, 5 REB, 4 AST
- Taylor Ball: 11 PTS, 7 REB, 3 AST
- Jed Mayhak: 11 PTS (career-high)
- Caldwell: 10 PTS, 4 REB
- Last year: The Sabercats took a 105-68 win away from Dubuque a couple of weeks ago
- Series: Maranatha now leads the all-time series 31-4
- Emmaus competes with the Sabercats for the NCCAA North Region
- Emmaus posted an 80-79 win over Association Free Lutheran earlier this season
The Sabercats will host Dayspring Bible College on Thursday for a 7:00 p.m. tip. Find details at mbusabercats.com/schedule.