RIVER FOREST, Ill. -- Two nights after century-marking Emmaus Bible College, the Sabercats were century marked at Concordia Chicago.
With a 74-102 loss to the Cougars, the Sabercats are now 1-1 for the new year.
- Result: Maranatha 74-102 Concordia Chicago
- Venue: Geiseman Gymnasium, Concordia Chicago
- Location: River Forest, Ill.
- Attendance: 54
- Records: MBU (3-6), CUC (5-6)
The Cougars couldn't seem to miss in the first half, as they knocked down 60 percent of their shots from the floor while going 57 percent from downtown. Right away, the hosts had established their intentions, and the Sabercats were set on the back foot after the Cougars' 54-point performance.
Zeke Steuerwald and Taylor Ball both notched seven points in the first half while Tyler Reid added six from off the bench, but the Sabercats were out-rebounded, out-shot, and out-played in the first half.
The second half story changed from the first, but only slightly. The game went 48-42 in favor of the hosts through the second half, which saw both teams shoot 50 percent or better from the field. Stephen Wilkerson put up a dozen points in the second half for MBU, but a deep and talented Concordia side pushed past the century mark on their way to the convincing win.
MBU Starters: 2- Ball, 3- Mayhak, 4- Steuerwald 5- Sanders, 23- Wilkerson
- Wilkerson: 14 PTS, 4 AST
- Ball: 10 PTS, 5 REB
- Reid: 10 PTS, 3 REB
- Caleb Moultrie: 10 PTS, 3 REB
- Reid: 9 PTS, 12 REB
- Last time: The Cougars won 86-80 in Watertown on Februray 2, 2016
- Series: Concordia Chicago now leads the all-time series 12-1
- Concordia Chicago competes in the Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference
- Concordia Chicago has played three teams that are either ranked in the NCAA DIII or have received votes
- Concordia Chicago is now 4-1 on their home floor
The Sabercats will travel to Manitowoc, Wisconsin to take on Silver Lake College next Tuesday night at 7:00 p.m. Stay updated at mbusabercats.com/schedule.