ASHLAND, Wis. -- The date on the calendar changed this morning, but the story of the Sabercats' afternoon was eerily similar to Thursday's loss.
After a one-possession difference at the end of the first half, the Sabercats went on to score 68 points but allow their opponents to slip away, falling 68-80 to Northland College.
- Result: Maranatha 68-80 Northland
- Venue: Kendrigan Center, Northland College
- Location: Ashland, Wis.
- Attendance: 135
- Records: MBU (0-3), NC (1-3)
When Northland jumped out to a 20-6 lead in the opening five minutes, it looked like it would be a long drive south for Maranatha. But late three-pointers from Jed Mayhak and Caleb Moultrie helped to kick-start MBU's offense, and six late points from Stephen Wilkerson helped the Sabercats claw back to make it a one-possession game entering the halftime break. The Sabercats were in the same position Thursday night, and they were not about to repeat the storyline.
Despite their best intentions, the Sabercats couldn't find a way into the wins column, as Northland kept the Sabercats out of striking distance for the entire second half. Maranatha struggled from downtown on the night, connecting just 3-17 shots from beyond the arc, and Northland added insult to injury by shooting 50 percent (8-16) from three-point range.
MBU Starters: 2- Ball, 3- Mayhak, 5- Sanders, 13- Caldwell, 23- Wilkerson
- Wilkerson: 17 PTS, 11 REB (first double-double of the season)
- Ball: 14 PTS (career-high)
- Sanders: 12 PTS, 3 REB, 5 AST
- Last time: The Sabercats won 75-66 at Northland last year
- Series: Northland leads the all-time series 13-6
- Northland competes in the Upper Midwest Athletic Conference (NCAA DIII)
- Northland faced NCAA DII Bemidji State earlier this month
- Northland will begin UMAC conference play on December 4
The Sabercats will travel to Dominican University for a 6:30 p.m. tipoff Tuesday. Follow at mbusabercats.com/schedule.