DUBUQUE, Iowa -- The Sabercats are in the North Region Championship, and after a ruthless wire-to-wire win over Emmaus Bible College tonight, MBU showed why they're the #1 seed.
Maranatha sent four players into double figures in an 81-51 win over the hosts, and now the Sabercats will face #6 Moody Bible tomorrow at 5:00 p.m. in the championship.
- Result: #1 Maranatha 92-78 #4 Emmaus
- Venue: Pollard Fieldhouse, Emmaus Bible College
- Location: Dubuque, Iowa
- Attendance: 241
- Records: MBU (14-9), EBC (5-24)
The 11-0 run that the Sabercats started with was a sign of things to come, as David Lerma and Jonathan Book fueled a fast start for MBU. Stephen Wilkerson picked up the mantle for the rest of the way, as he compiled 14 first-half points to lead the way for Maranatha. At halftime, the Sabercats had procured a 10-point lead and were looking dangerous.
As the second half wore on, the Sabercats pulled away. A couple of early three's from Rob Sonnenberg crushed any resistance that the Eagles planned, and from then on, it was a matter of formality and routine.
With the game out of reach of the Eagles, the Sabercats were just sharpening up for tomorrow. The Blue and Gold kept things moving offensively, going deep into their bench all the while. Twelve Sabercats contributed to the win, and it's all eyes on Moody and the North Region crown.
MBU Starters: 3-Book, 15-Lerma, 22-Sonnenberg, 23-Wilkerson, 35-Gill // EBC Starters: 1-Dillard, 13-Reeves, 14-Brammer, 34-Williams, 55-Horan
- Wilkerson: 19 pts, 7 reb
- Sonnenberg: 10 pts, 11 reb
- Book: 10 pts, 3 reb, 8 ast
- Rebounding: MBU 53-31 EBC
- MBU: shot 47.8 percent from the floor
- Last time: MBU 92-78 at Emmaus
- Series: MBU leads the series 29-4
- Emmaus competes in the NCCAA and the Midwest Christian College Conference
- EBC finished with a 12-17 record last season and lost to the Sabercats in the semifinals of the North Region Tournament
- The Eagles finish the 2018-19 season with an NCCAA regional record of 4-5
The Sabercats will compete with #6 Moody Bible Institute for the NCCAA North Region crown tomorrow at 5:00 p.m. Follow at mbusabercats.com/composite.