WATERTOWN, Wis. -- In their final tuneup before the NCCAA postseason, the Sabercats handled the Dayspring Bible College Eagles with little resistance.
- Result: Maranatha 71-53 Dayspring Bible
- Venue: MBU Gymnasium
- Location: Watertown, Wis.
- Attendance: 164
- Records: MBU (13-9), DBC (3-5)
The Eagles are frequently underestimated, and perhaps there was some of that going on in the first half. Or perhaps the Sabercats were just "off". Either way, MBU kept the edge thanks to 13 first-half points from Jonathan Book, but they allowed the Eagles to stay within hailing distance at the end of the opening 20 minutes. The rest of the Maranatha starting lineup contributed evenly to the scoring, and at the halftime break the Sabercats held a 32-23 lead.
A break to recuperate was just what the Sabercats needed. When they came out in the second half, the gradually extended their lead to 20 points and pushed the Eagles back to a sub-20-percent shooting performance for a greater part of the second half. MBU wound up scoring 39 second-half points and finished the night ahead with room to breathe.
The 71-53 scoreline was almost an exact match of the earlier matchup this season, when MBU beat DBC 70-52 down in Illinois.
MBU Starters: 3-Book, 15-Lerma, 22-Sonnenberg, 23-Wilkerson, 35-Gill // DBC Starters: 3-Herriman, 4-Matillano, 22-Horning, 23-Julian, 30-Getty
- Book: hit double-digit points in every home game but one this season
- Blake: third career double-double
- Rob Sonnenberg: passed 500 career points on the night
- Last meeting: Maranatha beat Dayspring 70-52 in January
- Series: MBU leads the series 11-1
- Dayspring is not affiliated with any major association
- Dayspring suffered a 9-point defeat to Moody Bible Institute a week ago
The Sabercats will await their seeding for the NCCAA North Region Tournament, which will be played next weekend at Emmaus Bible College. Follow at mbusabercats.com/composite.