WATERTOWN, Wis. -- LCU may have won by 23 points last time, but tonight was a different story as MBU started off hot and never looked back.
The Sabercats had five players in double digits and posted their season-high mark for points in a half, defeating Lincoln Christian University 91-79 on an exciting night at MBU.
- Result: Maranatha 91-79 Lincoln Christian
- Venue: MBU Gymnasium
- Location: Watertown, Wis.
- Attendance: 162
- Records: MBU (12-9), LCU (11-16)
The Maranatha-Lincoln game is usually a high-scoring outing when it comes to Watertown, and tonight's game continued the trend. The Sabercats made everything they looked at in the opening minutes, as Rob Sonnenberg and David Lerma combined to go 4-4 from downtown, forcing LCU to call an early timeout to get their issues sorted.
Maranatha and Lincoln sustained a rapid tempo to the game throughout the first half, as the Sabercats were looking to build on the fast start. And build they did, as they seemed to be a step ahead of Lincoln as the game was established. MBU out-rebounded LCU 23-13 in the first half alone, and they solidified an eight-point lead going into the locker room.
Lerma didn't miss in the first half, going 4-4 from the floor and 3-3 from downtown.
Lerma was leading the scoring, but the Sabercats showed their depth in the second half, as nine players finished the night with points to their names. Tyree Bruno continued his solid play in the second half, as the freshman went 4-5 with some physical finishes down low. Meanwhile, Jonathan Book and Lerma went a combined 14-16 from the line to punish Lincoln for getting into foul trouble.
The closest Lincoln came was six points in the second half, but there was simply no stopping the Blue and Gold. Maranatha never allowed Lincoln to lead, wrapping up their third 90-point game in their last five contests.
The 53-point mark in the second half was the best single-half performance that the Sabercats have had all year, as they are gaining momentum going into the NCCAA Regional Championship next weekend.
MBU Starters: 3-Book, 15-Lerma, 22-Sonnenberg, 23-Wilkerson, 35-Gill // LCU Starters: 2-Aeilts, 3-Parks, 15-Hopkins, 21-Lawhorn, 50-Wolters
- Lerma: second straight game with 20-plus points
- Bruno: second straight game in double figures
- MBU: third game with 90-plus points in their last five games
- MBU: shot 50 percent from the floor in the second half
- Last meeting: Lincoln Christian won 89-66 back in January
- Series: MBU leads the series 26-14
- Lincoln Christian competes in the NCCAA DI and the NAIA DII
- The Red Lions have six NCCAA wins this season
- The Red Lions compete in the Association of Independent Institutions conference of the NAIA
The Sabercats will conclude their home stand when they host Dayspring Bible College on Saturday at 3:00 p.m. for Parents' Day. Follow at mbusabercats.com/composite.