MANITOWOC, Wis. -- It was a tight one from wire to wire, and the Sabercats had their hearts broken at the hands of Silver Lake College, falling 75-77.
After two halves with completely different offensive displays. the Sabercats have now started the new year with one win from four.
- Result: Maranatha 75-77 Silver Lake
- Venue: UW-Manitowoc Fieldhouse
- Location: Manitowoc, Wis.
- Attendance: 124
- Records: MBU (5-7), SLC (6-13)
The biggest lead that anyone held on the night was seven points, and that summed up the game. It was 40 minutes of hard-fought college basketball. The Sabercats were sharp from outside early on, connecting three times from beyond the arc to take an early lead.
Silver Lake kept the pressure on, though, and they generally stayed within one possession of the Sabercats throughout the rest of the first half. Despite the early three-pointers from MBU, neither team shot very well in the opening act, as the teams combined for a 25-percent shooting performance from the floor.
The law of averages kicks in eventually, and both teams made up for their cold shooting performances in the first half. And how. The two sides combined for 107 points on 65 percent shooting in what was an offensive explosion in the second half.
The lead changed hands like a hot potato after the halftime break, but the Sabercats pulled away thanks to 14 second-half points from Jonathan Book and another 12 from Rob Sonnenberg. The Sabercats struggled with unforced turnovers in the second half, though, and this proved to be a difference-maker in the end. The Lakers accepted the gifts and stayed within hailing distance as the second half wound down. Thomas Bullock provided the dagger with four seconds left, as his ankle-breaking stepback jumper put the Lakers ahead by the headline score of 77-75.
Book nearly won it at the horn, but the senior's deep three-pointer hit both sides of the rim before falling harmlessly to the floor.
MBU Starters: 3-Book, 15-Lerma, 22-Sonnenberg, 23-Wilkerson, 35-Gill // SLC Starters: 11-Dean, Jr., 21-Walls, 22-Bullock, 23-Cantre, 30-Lloyd
- Sonnenberg: - 21 points - his third straight game in double digits
- Book - 19 points
- Wilkerson - 10 points, 10 rebounds - first career double-double
- Last year: MBU won 85-77 at home
- Series: Series is now tied 4-4
- Silver Lake competes in the NAIA DII as an independent member
- The Lakers have topped Association Free Lutheran twice this season. AFL is the Sabercats' next home opponent
- Silver Lake is now 4-1 on their home floor
The Sabercats will travel to Lake Zurich, Illinois to take on Dayspring Bible at 7:00 p.m. Follow at mbusabercats.com/composite.