NEW ULM, Minn. -- Going into halftime with a five-point deficit, the Sabercats rallied to score 40 points in the second act and take a hard-earned win back to Watertown.
Matt Gill led the way for MBU, posting his first career double-double with 14 points and 13 boards.
- Result: Maranatha 62-53 Martin Luther
- Venue: Luther Student Center
- Location: New Ulm, Minn.
- Attendance: 79
- Records: MBU (5-4), MLC (5-8)
The Sabercats started the 2019 half of the season without Head Coach Salscheider on the bench (due to the birth of his first child), and a sluggish 22-27 first half effort. The team managed only 27.3 percent from the field, and turned the ball over 7 times.
The second half was a different story, with the Sabercats lighting up the board with 48.5 percent shooting and holding the Knight offense scoreless for 6:41 to start the period. MBU erased the deficit and built a lead that they would not relinquish the rest of the game. Tough defense made the difference, keeping MLC scoring to 24.2 percent and forcing nine turnovers.
MBU Starters: 3-Book, 15-Lerma, 22-Sonnenberg, 23 Wilkerson, 35-Gill // MLC Starters: 3-Lindloff, 5-Eckmann, 15-DeNoyer, 21-Paulsen, 25-Eisenmann
- Gill double-double with 14 points and 13 rebounds
- Gill, Wilkerson, Lerma and Book in double-digits (14, 10, 11, 10 respectively)
- Last year: Martin Luther won a thriller at home by a score of 56-54
- Series: Martin Luther leads the series 5-4
- The Knights compete in the NCAA DIII and are members of the Upper Midwest Athletic Conference
- MLC took an 81-58 win over Oak Hills Christian on November 30. OHCC competes in the NCCAA North Region
- Coming into tonight, the Knights held a 4-3 home record this season
The Sabercats will stay on the road to face the Crusaders of Great Lakes Christian College on Tuesday in Lansing, Michigan. Follow at mbusabercats.com/composite.