LINCOLN, Ill. -- The Sabercats took to the road for the third time since returning from the Christmas Break, and they had a hard time coming up with the result.
Lincoln Christian, who competes in the NAIA and the NCCAA DI, handed the Sabercats a 23-point loss - it was a night to forget for MBU.
- Result: Maranatha 66-89 Lincoln Christian
- Venue: Gaston Arena
- Location: Lincoln, Ill.
- Attendance: 124
- Records: MBU (5-6), LCU (8-10)
The Sabercats struggled to keep pace, as they trailed the Red Lions for nearly the entire game. MBU took a brief lead in the opening half when Stephen Wilkerson hit a jumper at 16:25 to give the Sabercats a 6-5 lead, but that was quickly erased and MBU never fully recovered. Lincoln led by as much as 18 in the first half before the Sabercats closed the margin to 32-43 at the end of the period.
MBU struggled in the second half to narrow the gap as LCU maintained a double-digit lead, stalling the Sabercats offense to an eventual 66-89 loss. MBU hit just 32.8 percent from the field in the second half compared to LCU's 49.2 percent with four players scoring double-digits.
MBU Starters: 3-Book, 15-Lerma, 22-Sonnenberg, 23-Wilkerson, 35-Gill // LCU Starters: 2-Aeilts, 3-Parks, 14-Hopkins, 21-Lawhorn, 41-Thompson
- Stephen Wilkerson - 16 points
- Rob Sonnenberg - 8 points, 7 rebounds
- Last year: Lincoln Christian swept the two-game series last season, winning by less than 10 each time
- Series: Maranatha leads the series 25-14
- Lincoln Christian competes in the NCCAA DI and the NAIA DII
- The Red Lions have knocked off three NCCAA schools this season
- Coming into tonight, LCU held a 4-2 record on their home floor
The Sabercats will stay on the road to face Silver Lake College on Saturday. The tip is set for 3:00 p.m. in Manitowoc, Wisconsin. Follow at mbusabercats.com/composite.