PLYMOUTH, Wis. -- After a promising start, the Sabercats saw another doubleheader slip away at Lakeland University this afternoon.
The Muskies took a 13-2 win in the opener before closing with a 5-inning, 17-0 win to close out the series.
- Results: Maranatha 2-13 Lakeland, Maranatha 0-17 Lakeland (5 Innings)
- Venue: Muskie Baseball Field
- Location: Plymouth, Wis.
- Attendance: 78
- Records: MBU (0-14), LU (13-11)
But the momentum stopped short there, as Lakeland turned the bats on for their next 6 innings at the plate. The Muskies took their home-field advantage the whole way, scoring at least a run in every inning to follow. Lane Sobieski and Kaylab Owings both registered triples to be the protagonists for Lakeland.
The second game of the day was more impressive from a Lakeland perspective, as they exploded for 9 runs in the first inning alone en route to a 17-0 win in 5 innings. Nathan Blakesley and Brian Biggs both had a double and a triple for LU, who crept above .500 for the season with the pair of wins.
Maranatha Lineup (Game 1) - 7- Cripps (P), 19- T. Smith (SS), 8- Paruch (3B), 4- Huthmaker (RF), 6- Hecker (CF), 10- Ratledge (2B), 3- Croswell (C), 2- Fredrickson (LF), 18- Arp (1B)
Maranatha Lineup (Game 2) - 7- Cripps (C), 19- T. Smith (SS), 8- Paruch (3B), 4- Huthmaker (RF), 10- Ratledge (DH), 2- Fredrickson (CF), 3- Croswell (2B), 1- Smith (LF), 6- Hecker (P)
- Lakeland competes in the Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference (NCAA DIII)
- Lakeland finished the shortened 2020 season with just a 2-6 record
- Lakeland will host Concordia-Wisconsin for the start of a 4-game home-and-home series on Saturday and Sunday
The Sabercats conclude the season at home Saturday for a 12:00 p.m. doubleheader against North Central University. Follow at mbusabercats.com/schedule