WATERTOWN, Wis. -- After three weeks of preseason training, the Sabercats finally take a forward look at their first games of 2020. It starts today with a visit to Michigan as the Blue and Gold look to kick things off on the right foot.
You can't talk about this year without noting the challenge of rebuilding a squad that lost 16 players from the previous year. That leaves 10 returners. But a less-experienced side is prepped and ready for the season, as they have grown leaps and bounds since the first day of preseason.
"The guys have applied themselves in the first few weeks and are reaping the benefits," said Head Coach Jeff Pill. "We were able to tie a very experienced alumni team, and that shows the work the guys have put into their fitness and their organization during preseason. We are looking forward to testing ourselves this weekend, especially against a very good Grace team."
AT A GLANCE
- The team returns 10 student-athletes from last season.
- The schedule consists of six different opponents and 12 total games during the regular season.
- NCCAA Regionals will be held at Maranatha on the weekend of November 6-7.
- NCCAA DII Nationals will return to Kissimmee, Florida, November 17-21.
HOW TO FOLLOW
- mbusabercats.com/schedule - visit for gameday information including directions, live statistics, and live video.
- Twitter (@MBUSabercats) - visit to join gameday and season-long conversation about Maranatha Athletics.
- Facebook (/MBUSabercats) - visit for photo galleries, live video, and regular updates.
- Instagram (@mbusabercats)
- 9/29 vs Northwestern (Minn.)
- 10/3 vs Grace Christian
- 10/13 vs Viterbo
- 10/17 vs Great Lakes
- 10/20 vs Faith
SENIORS IN THE SPOTLIGHT
Five seniors take the field this season and will lead the team from the front (in the proverbial sense):
Kevin Burns (Senior) ended up being a support player in the 2019 season after sustaining an injury in the opening weeks of the season. Burns will bring experience to the back line and the midfield.
Tim Kinzler (Senior) earned NCCAA North Region honors in 2019 and recorded a career-best 16-save game against Moody Bible Institute, leading the Sabercats to a 1.58 goals-allowed average and four shutouts. Kinzler returns to the goalkeeper position in 2020.
Kyle Cummins (Senior) is a dynamic and dangerous option for the Sabercats at the center-forward position. Cummins featured in 11 games last season and notched his first career goal at Lincoln Christian.
Stephen Roer (Senior) has been selected as lead captain, and he has proven to be a reliable option in the Sabercats' back line in previous seasons. Roer barely came off the field in the 2019 season and will continue to lead the Sabercats defensively.
Zeke Steuerwald (Senior) earned NCCAA DII All-American status last year and led the team with eight goals, two of which were game-winners. Steuerwald will look to settle into a midfield role for the 2020 season.
The Sabercats begin their season today at 5:00 p.m. Eastern with a visit to NCCAA opponents, Great Lakes Christian. Visit mbusabercats.com/schedule for gameday information.