WATERTOWN, Wis. -- With all the uncertainty of 2020, the Sabercats were unsure if they'd even have a season this fall. And now, with their season just hours away, the loss of six seniors and their defeat in the 2019 NCCAA DII title match in seem less problematic than they did last November.
At this point, they can't wait to play again.
Nine underclassmen and six upperclassmen are eager to take the court and uphold Maranatha's reputation in the NCCAA, and the team is focused and ready despite all of the uncertainty that has surrounded the upcoming season.
"So for me, I was kind of nervous," said junior captain Mattie Bumpus. "I worked all summer trying to better myself, and by the time mid-July hit all I wanted to do was play. I was so excited to come up for preseason."
That excitement has caught on, and the team has looked sharp during preseason this year.
- The team holds an NCCAA record of 60-5 over the last four seasons.
- Nine of the 15 student-athletes on this year's roster are underclassmen.
- NCCAA Regionals will be held at Faith Baptist Bible College, November 6-8.
- NCCAA DII Nationals will return to Kissimmee, Florida.
HOW TO FOLLOW
- mbusabercats.com/schedule - visit for gameday information including directions, live statistics, and live video.
- mbusabercats.com/live - visit to watch home matches live.
- Twitter (@MBUSabercats) - visit to join gameday and season-long conversation about Maranatha Athletics.
- Facebook (/MBUSabercats) - visit for photo galleries, live video, and regular updates.
- Instagram (@mbusabercats)
- 9/12 vs Grace Christian (two matches)
- 10/10 vs Great Lakes
- 10/17 vs Lincoln Christian
- 10/23-24 vs Oak Hills Christian, Faith Baptist
Mattie Bumpus and Erica Ureke have been tabbed as team captains for the 2020 season while Claire Hansel serves the role of floor captain.
Bumpus (Junior) featured in 28 matches in the 2019 season and will feature in 2020 on the right side. Bumpus served primarily as a support role to a senior-heavy offense last year and is ready to take the reigns of the leadership role for 2020.
Ureke (Junior) is in a similar boat to Bumpus, as she backed up her sister, Jessica, and senior libero McKenzie (Janke) Gleason in 2019. Ureke appeared in 21 matches in 2019 and registered 29 digs.
Hansel (Senior) is a two-time NCCAA DII All-American and a two-time NCCAA North Region 1st-Team selection. Hansel has amassed 1,035 career kills and 888 career digs and will look to extend her career numbers during the 2020 season and continue her on-court leadership.
The Sabercats return to play tonight with a visit to NCCAA North Region opponents, Faith Baptist. Visit mbusabercats.com/schedule for gameday information.