WATERTOWN, Wis. -- The 2019-20 Sabercats Women's Basketball season tips off tonight, and the team has some unfinished business to take care of.
A memorable 2018-19 season included a program-best 13 straight wins, and it culminated with a third-place finish at the NCCAA DII National Tournament, where the Sabercats battled the eventual champions, Arlington Baptist, to a 12-point loss. This year, the Sabercats will be looking to punch their ticket to the national championship.
Returning Talent and New Kids on the Block
The Sabercats return six student-athletes from last year's roster: All-Americans Callie Morrison and Kelsey Johnson highlight the returning crowd, and Tierney Bosnyak, Karley Johnson, Ashley Nerat, and Trisha Wright round off a solid returning core that will look to mentor some nine newcomers (seven freshmen) for the 2019-20 season.
The team had to wait until now to open their season partly due to the fact that five of their 15 members were involved in fall sports as well.
October 15th will feel like forever ago for the Sabercats, who will look to get a return on their investment of two months of training as they open the 2019-20 season.
SEASON AT A GLANCE
- Maranatha will have just two home games this semester - they host Northland tonight and Finlandia on Saturday.
- The 2019-20 team has just two seniors and nine newcomers - seven of which are freshmen.
- The Sabercats will have eight home games in a one-month stretch January 23-February 22.
- NCCAA Regionals will be held at Trinity Bible College in Ellendale, North Dakota, February 27-29.
- The NCCAA DII National Tournament will be held in Joplin, Missouri, March 12-14.
HOW TO FOLLOW
- mbusabercats.com/schedule - visit for gameday information including directions, live statistics, and live video.
- mbusabercats.com/live - visit to watch home matches live.
- Twitter (@MBUSabercats) - visit to join gameday and season-long conversation about Maranatha Athletics.
- Facebook (/MBUSabercats) - visit for photo galleries, live video, and regular updates.
- Instagram (@mbusabercats) - visit for what everything looks like
FEATURED HOME GAMES
- 12/9 vs Northland (Season Opener)
- 1/28 vs Emmaus (NCCAA North Region)
- 2/3 vs Faith Baptist (NCCAA North Region)
- 2/22 vs Martin Luther (Parents' Day)
Callie Morrison (Guard / Junior) was named as an NCCAA 2nd-Team All-American during her rookie season, as she broke onto the college scene with 15.6 points, 5.0 rebounds, and 4.9 assists per game. Morrison ran the point without skipping a beat and she will look to add to her impact during her sophomore season.
Karley Johnson (Guard / Senior) has amassed 470 career points over three seasons and continued to prove her worth during her junior season. Johnson stepped it up at the National Tournament last year, posting a season-high 14 points against Arlington Baptist in the national semifinal. She finished her junior season with 7.1 points, 8.0 rebounds, and 2.0 assists per game.
Kelsey Johnson (Guard / Senior) was the Sabercats' other All-American last year, as she capped off a dominant junior campaign with NCCAA 3rd-Team honors. Johnson lead the team with 15.7 points, 9.8 rebounds, and 2.1 assists per game. Johnson was in the 20-points range seven times last season, and she was a crucial component of the Sabercats' program-best 13-game winning streak last year.
The Sabercats' "unfinished business" begins tonight at 6:00 p.m. as they host Northland College. Visit mbusabercats.com/schedule for gameday information.