WATERTOWN, Wis. -- The 2019-20 Sabercats Men's Basketball season is less than 24 hours away, and the potential of this season can not be understated.
The 2019-20 team is young. Senior-less, to be exact. But with 10 returning players from last year's NCCAA 4th-place nationals run and eight promising new recruits, the Sabercats can't help but look ahead.
The team made history in 2018 by winning the NCCAA regional tournament for the first time in 15 years, and they followed that up with another NCCAA regional title last season, going on to finish in the NCCAA Final Four after upsetting the #1-seeded Randall University Saints in a memorable first-round game.
The 2019-20 team has tasted the big stage. They've relished a major upset when it was all on the line. And they will definitely be gunning for a return trip when the postseason comes around.
A FIRST FOR BORCHARDT
Joel Borchardt is no stranger to the game of basketball, but this will be his first season as the head coach of the Maranatha Men's Basketball Team. Borchardt has been on the coaching staff since the 2016 season. As the most-recent NCCAA 1st-Team All-American from the program, Borchardt brings knowledge and experience to the helm while maintaining the staff of some long-time assistants, Jeff Borchardt and John Teasdale.
Borchardt has served as the Associate Head Coach for the last two years, as Coach Keith Salscheider consistently groomed Borchardt for the position.
The transition makes perfect sense, and Borchardt and the team will be eyeing the return journey to the NCCAA National Tournament.
SEASON AT A GLANCE
- Maranatha will have just one home game this semester - they host Faith Baptist on December 7.
- The 2019-20 team has no seniors and just four upperclassmen.
- The Sabercats will have nine home games in a one-month stretch January 23-February 22.
- NCCAA Regionals will be held at Trinity Bible College in Ellendale, North Dakota, February 27-29.
- The NCCAA DII National Tournament will be held in Joplin, Missouri, March 12-14.
HOW TO FOLLOW
- mbusabercats.com/schedule - visit for gameday information including directions, live statistics, and live video.
- mbusabercats.com/live - visit to watch home matches live.
- Twitter (@MBUSabercats) - visit to join gameday and season-long conversation about Maranatha Athletics.
- Facebook (/MBUSabercats) - visit for photo galleries, live video, and regular updates.
- Instagram (@mbusabercats) - visit for what everything looks like
FEATURED HOME GAMES
- 12/7 vs Faith Baptist (NCCAA North Region)
- 1/23 vs Moody (NCCAA North Region)
- 1/28 vs Emmaus (NCCAA North Region)
- 2/7 vs Great Lakes (2019 NCCAA DII Runner-Up)
Stephen Wilkerson (Junior) is the only starter from the 2019 NCCAA DII National Tournament. Wilkerson registered an average of 11 points per game last year and will look to lead the Sabercats from the floor. Wilkerson earned AD3I 1st-Team All-Independent honors at the end of the 2018-19 season.
Aaron Sanders (Sophomore) was a regular for the Sabercats last season, earning AD3I 2nd-Team honors at the end of it after being nominated for the Association's Rookie of the Year award. Sanders averaged over 16 minutes per game last season and averaged 5.2 points per game and 1.2 assists per game.
Zeke Steuerwald (Junior) was another contributor during the 2019 NCCAA DII National Tournament. Steuerwald's arrival to the basketball team will be delayed, as the junior is heading to Florida with the Sabercats Men's Soccer Team for their national tournament next weekend.
The Sabercats' quest for the return trip to the NCCAA DII National Tournament begins tomorrow night with a 7:00 p.m. visit to Luther College. Visit mbusabercats.com/schedule for gameday information.