WATERTOWN, Wis. -- The 2019 Sabercats Men's Soccer Team enjoys a unique luxury as they look ahead to a new season - they return 19 student-athletes from previous seasons. After falling in two consecutive years to Providence University College at NCCAA Regionals, this team is experienced, prepared, and looking ahead to the upcoming campaign.
Before finishing as regional semi-finalists last year, the Sabercats fell 1-0 during the regular season to North Central University, who eventually went on to win the NCCAA DII National Championship by a score of 3-0. Significant? Not per se, but North Central will not be returning to the NCCAA this season.
Conclusion? With NCU out of the picture, the North Region is even more wide open.
With their solid core of returners and the closeness of the last two seasons in mind, the Sabercats have their eyes on the prize for the 2019 season.
SEASON AT A GLANCE
- Maranatha will have six consecutive home games in September and 10 home games total.
- The team returns all but three student-athletes from 2018.
- The team returns each of the 10 starting field players from the 2018 NCCAA Regional Championship.
- Eleven seniors take the field for the 2019 season.
- NCCAA Regionals will be held at Faith Baptist Bible College, November 7-9.
HOW TO FOLLOW
- mbusabercats.com/schedule - visit for gameday information including directions, live statistics, and live video.
- mbusabercats.com/live - visit to watch home matches live.
- Twitter (@MBUSabercats) - visit to join gameday and season-long conversation about Maranatha Athletics.
- Facebook (/MBUSabercats) - visit for photo galleries, live video, and regular updates.
- Instagram (@mbusabercats)
FEATURED HOME GAMES
- 9/12 vs Emmaus (NCCAA North Region)
- 9/17 vs Faith Baptist (NCCAA North Region)
- 10/1 vs Moody (NCCAA North Region)
- 10/19 vs Lincoln Christian (Parents' Day)
The only regular starter missing from the 2018 season is Andrew Taylor, who was primarily responsible for the goalkeeping duties. Tim Kinzler steps in after serving as a solid second-string option for two seasons, so the transition in that position should be seamless. Asa St. Lawrence returns to the lineup after sitting out last season, and the senior will look to contribute right away.
Every senior on the roster has contributed significant minutes in the last few years, so the core of returners is both experienced and skilled.
Zeke Steuerwald (Junior) returns to his attacking role. Steuerwald was named to the NCCAA North Region 1st Team and the AD3I 1st Team All-Independent selections last season. Steuerwald led the team with five assists and co-led the team with 13 points.
Caleb Hockema (Senior) has earned AD3I 1st-Team honors for the last two seasons and will anchor an experienced back line.
Asa St. Lawrence (Senior) returns to the team after a one-year hiatus. St. Lawrence earned NCCAA North Region honors in 2016 and captained the team during the 2017 season.
Austin DeAngelo (Senior) looks to end his collegiate career on an upward trajectory. After missing almost all of his sophomore year due to injury, DeAngelo was a key component of the Sabercats' 2018 campaign, serving as team captain and playing a crucial role in the midfield.
Tyler Nelson (Senior) led the team in goals last year and has 14 career goals to his name. Nelson has started every game of the last three seasons and will look to cap off a four-year career with his best season yet.
The Sabercats' quest for the program's second NCCAA DII national title begins Friday, September 6 with a 4:30 p.m. visit to Beloit College. Visit mbusabercats.com/schedule for gameday information.