WATERTOWN, Wis. -- For the third time and for the third season in a row, the Sabercats Men's Volleyball Team will take on a new season. The novelty of being an intercollegiate program is beginning to fade, but the resolve of the group to perform remains as strong as ever.
With a solid core of returning student-athletes, the outlook on the 2020 season is bright.
After serving as assistant coach, Regina DeLozier has stepped in as an interim head coach for the 2020 season (STORY). DeLozier will look to build on the solid foundation set by her daughter, Torey Rosen, but she will have to do it without the significant contributions of Derek Wallis, who played his final season in the Blue and Gold in 2019.
All that being said, DeLozier will have nine returning players to work with, including Joel Depue, who last played in 2018. As the team prepares for the NCCAA Invitational at the end of the month, the spirit - as it always is - is high.
The Sabercats will have three tune-up matches before traveling to Palos Heights, Illinois for the NCCAA National Invitational. The Sabercats are the #8 seed for the invitational and will have to open against the #1 seed, Ottawa University, who won the Invitational last year.
SEASON AT A GLANCE
- Maranatha will compete in the NCCAA National Invitational on January 24-25.
- The Sabercats will host consecutive triangulars on February 15 and February 21.
- The Sabercats will have 10 home matches for the 2020 season.
- Maranatha will conclude the season at Trinity Christian, with two matches in two days March 20-21.
HOW TO FOLLOW
- mbusabercats.com/schedule - visit for gameday information including directions, live statistics, and live video.
- mbusabercats.com/live - visit to watch home matches live.
- Twitter (@MBUSabercats) - visit to join gameday and season-long conversation about Maranatha Athletics.
- Facebook (/MBUSabercats) - visit for photo galleries, live video, and regular updates.
- Instagram (@mbusabercats) - visit for what everything looks like
FEATURED HOME GAMES
- 2/15 vs Concordia-Chicago and North Park (Maranatha Triangular/Parents' Day)
- 2/21 vs Marian and Greenville (Maranatha Triangular)
- 2/27 vs Concordia-Wisconsin
- 3/13 vs Rockford (Senior Night)
Taylor Dafoe - The senior setter will take on an even more important offensive role this year. Dafoe returns as the team captain and had to battle an injury just to get healthy for the season. Dafoe has been with the team in practices and will be able to fill the role of setter this year.
Joel Smith - Smith returns this season after making significant strides over the past two years. Smith finished last season with 114 kills and 122 digs and will look to continue his upward trend.
Joel Depue - The junior returns to his defensive role after not playing last season. In 2018, Depue helped mark the first varsity season for the team with 285 digs and was an undisputed mainstay on defense.
Isaac McKee - Last year, the freshman made a name for himself in his first collegiate season. At 6'5", McKee brings height to the front line for Maranatha, and the sophomore will look to settle into his role after a solid first season.
It all starts Friday night for the Sabercats, who will travel to Marian University to open the 2020 season at 7:00 p.m.