WATERTOWN, Wis. -- The 2018 Sabercats Cross Country Teams welcome a pack of new faces to a solid group of returners. The NCCAA National meet is the season finale, but there's much to look forward to before that point.
Starting tomorrow at the Ken Weidt Classic (hosted by Concordia-Wisconsin), the Sabercats will have five events before competing for the national title:
|Ken Weidt Classic||9/8||Mequon, Wis.|
|Warrior Invitational||9/29||West Allis, Wis.|
|Bethel Invitational||10/5||South Bend, Ind.|
|Wisconsin Private College Championships||10/13||Ripon, Wis.|
|Oshkosh Open||10/19||Winneconne, Wis.|
|NCCAA Nationals||11/10||Lookout Point, Mo.|
FIVE THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW
- The Men's Team always runs an 8,000-meter race while the Women run either a 5K or a 6K.
- NCCAA Nationals will be hosted for the first time by the College of the Ozarks (Lookout Point, Mo.).
- The Sabercats will make a return trip to the Bethel Invitational after taking the last two years off.
- Madelyn Hansel and Anna Heins will provide veteran speed on the women's squad. Hansel PR'd with a 21:40 5K at last year's NCCAA Nationals while Heins' personal record was a 22:50 at the same event.
- Leading runner Cameron Rankin will run in his final season on the men's side. Rankin's PR of 28:32 came at last year's national meet. That time landed Rankin at 5th in the all-time MBU charts. Joining Rankin as returning runners will be Robert Kile, TJ Lacock, James Rossiter, and David Williams,
The Women's Team will have three new faces on the squad: Ana Hersch, Sierra John, and Katie Jean Lingle. And after taking a season off, Alicyn Wigdal will rejoin the team and look to provide some more experience. Wigdal's PR is 22:12, which she set during the 2016 season.
The Men's Team welcomes Alex Boyle, Jefferson Rupert, and Drew Smith to the squad, as these three runners look to carry on the noteworthy tradition of the program.
IT STARTS TOMORROW
The Sabercats will get their first race action tomorrow at the Ken Weidt Classic. The women's 6K will start at 11 a.m. while the men's 8K will begin at 12 p.m.
Find directions and results at mbusabercats.com/composite.