DUBUQUE, Iowa -- In order to get back to the NCCAA National Tournament, the Sabercats will have to reclaim the NCCAA North Region title - a title that eluded them last season. This year, the Sabercats are the #1 seed for regionals and are riding the momentum of a program-best 10 straight wins.
MBU will begin play in the 5:30 semifinal on Friday, facing the winner of #4 Emmaus/#5 Faith.
|#2||Providence||Manitoba, Canada||15-9||5-1||1st Round|
|#3||Calvary||Kansas City, Mo.||16-3||10-3||1st Round|
|#4||Emmaus (Host)||Dubuque, Iowa||10-13||9-2||Champion|
- NCCAA Record: 5-1
- NCCAA Regional Record: 4-1
- Insider: The Pilots come into the tournament on a good run, holding their winning percentage over .750 since November. The Pilots primarily compete north of the Border in the CCAC, but their competence in NCCAA play has been proven five different times this season.
- NCCAA Charts: Providence is in the NCCAA DII top 10 in offense (8th - 61.9 points per game) and defense (3rd - 45.6 points per game).
- Providence has a bye into the semifinal and will await the winner of #3 Calvary/#6 Trinity.
- NCCAA Record: 10-3
- NCCAA Regional Record: 3-3
- Insider: The Warriors grab the #3 seed ahead of #4 Emmaus despite holding an inferior regional record and losing to Emmaus by an average of 24.5 points over two games.
- NCCAA Charts: Calvary ranks 3rd in points per game in the NCCAA with 70.8, and they rank 5th in scoring defense, allowing an average of 53.8 points per game. Calvary has shot at a clip of 40.8 percent while holding opponents to 32.4 percent, ranking 2nd and 3rd in those respective categories.
- Calvary will open with a first-round game against #6 Trinity.
- NCCAA Record: 9-2
- NCCAA Regional Record: 5-1
- Insider: The hosting Eagles will open their title defense with a first-round game against in-state rivals #5 Faith. Emmaus is riding their own postseason momentum, as they recently won the Midwest Christian College Conference championship with a 66-47 win at Calvary. That title was Emmaus' second MCCC banner in the last three seasons.
- NCCAA Charts: Emmaus has scored 69.2 points per game this season, which is good enough for 4th in the NCCAA DII.
- Emmaus will open with a first-round game against #5 Faith.
- NCCAA Record: 6-9
- NCCAA Regional Record: 1-7
- Insider: The Eagles recently bowed out of the MCCC championship with consecutive losses to Calvary and Manhattan Christian. Faith's only North Region win this season came by way of a 64-45 home win against #6 Trinity on February 1.
- NCCAA Charts: Coming into the tournament, Faith has been the least-productive team in the region, as they rank 25th/30 in the NCCAA DII in points per game (47.6).
- Faith will open with a first-round game against #4 Emmaus.
- NCCAA Record: 0-4
- NCCAA Regional Record: 0-4
- Insider: Located in North Dakota, the Lions have been the least active in regular-season competition with North Region opponents. Three losses to #2 Providence and a 19-point loss to #5 Faith cements TBC in the sixth seed for the 2019 tournament.
- NCCAA Charts: (Due to inaccurate statistical recording, Trinity's scoring and defense are misrepresented in the NCCAA charts)
- Trinity will open with a first-round game against #3 Calvary.
HOW TO FOLLOW
Find details of each game at mbusabercats.com/composite.